Sunday, February 2, 2014

2013 Albums, Part One

Alright, alright, this is the absolute latest I have ever published a year end list.
It's taken some time. Not to mention the fact I'm a full time college student again. I didn't start reviewing records until much too late in the year, and therefore have been behind for quite some time.
However, publishing on Super Bowl Sunday is actually quite fitting, because I've CHANGED THE GAME on how I review records.

Typically, I sit and fight with myself for a few days on which record goes where in a numerical order. This October I changed my mind. I had to come up with a new way to review records. I am, while being a nerd, indie-music-snob (sometimes), am also a huge football fan. (So you can shove it.) I'm a good Wisconsin girl and love my Green Bay Packers, I'm even a shareholder. After a up-and-down season and having our star Aaron Rodgers out most of the season, I spent a lot of time reading NFL blogs and that led me to The Quarterback Index. It's nothing super official, just opinion (as is this blog), that ranks the QBs each week on performance and statistics, etc. As I read that blog each week, I realized the guy writing it was making up his own categories. What and idea. Typically each week went Here's Peyton Manning, here's four or five guys who just aren't Peyton this year, and then blah down the list to the WHO? section.

Well, I'm doing a bit of that. I have 50 records here for you today (in multiple parts, character limits), that instead of ranking them 50 down to 1, I've come up with five categories:


  • Elite
  • SO close to Elite, but just short
  • Really, really good records
  • Quality recordings, just not a whole lot of memorable staying power
  • Records that I think I would really enjoy if I had spent more time with them
Within each category I am not ranking a record against another. Which really isn't fair in the first place, different genres, different production levels, different backing from labels, budgets, etc. Certain records mean different things to you at different points in your life as it is. I did keep my elite to five records as a rule, but outside of that it was fair game. They're color coded in my Excel spreadsheet, but here's 50 records of the 194 I compiled from 2013. We, of course, will be working backward, so without further ado;

Records that I think I would really enjoy if I had spent more time with them:

Blitzen Trapper - Seven
Blitzen Trapper has always done right by me, but there's something about this record that just doesn't leave an imprint in my mind. There's nothing wrong with this record at all, I just keep forgetting about it. Album closer "Don't Be a Stranger" is quite wonderful.







Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
If I'm honest, I did not spend much time listening to Wonderful, Glorious after it came out. E has put out great records over the years, and 'Bombs Away' reminds me of why I love Eels in the first place, but the middle of the record just never stuck with me, until you get to album closer and title track. 'Wonderful, Glorious' is just that, wonderful and glorious (I wonder how many people have already made that awful choice). Seriously, though, it's got a great drum beat and bass line driving the whole song. Then they strip it do some choral vocals and you can't help but enjoy what you're listening to. 


Elton John -  The Diving Board
It's not really fair for another Elton John record, he's such a pro, and there are so, so, so many great songs in his repertoire. "Home Again" is a beautiful, heartfelt song. It's got a great piano line, and it isn't too heavy in other production. This is the Elton that delivers the hits. It seems unfair to judge Elton on his previous decades of work, but there's another record coming up, of someone who did blow it off the roof despite being around for 50 years, Elton's record is relatively safe.




Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
Another record I forget about until I listen to it. It opens with 'Acts of Man' which is a brilliant muted, vocal powered, song. A drum beat comes in, and the vocal gets more emotional, making for a great listening experience. Constantly adding more and more layers throughout the 4:54 play time. The honesty in the lyrics (and yes they run a bit explicit) make for a great listen. Pedestrian Verse isn't done with you yet. 'State Hospital' showcases a bit more of the Scottish accent, but again a song that has been crafted well, the build, and then the take apart, and build right back up and power in the song really demands more and more listens. It's also always great that a song can use curse words, but they're used in a way that doesn't detract from the song. The album closer 'The Oil Slick' gets a shout out just for a great use of choral vocals. 


Ivan & Aloysha - All the Times We Had
For shame, Allison, for shame, I didn't bother picking up this record until it was 2014 already. I can tell that this record is going to become a favorite as time goes on, I just haven't listened to it enough to adequately say much about it yet. It's for those of us who like a little folk in our music. "Don't Wanna Die Anymore" has everything you (or I) want in a folk song. It's got great vocals, catchy chorus, slight guitar, and a relatable topic. 
Kurt Vile - Walkin on a Pretty Daze
I'll admit it, I got introduced to this album way too late. Shame, because it sounds great. I am looking forward to get to know this record more and more in 2014. "Shame Chamber" has some great potential to become a favorite.







Mother Mother - The Sticks

Can you argue with how catchy 'Infinitesimal' is? No. I didn't think so. Easily one of 2013's catchiest songs. It's a record that I know that I should have dedicated more time to, however every time I even thought about the record I went straight to the aforementioned and then to 'Bit by Bit.' Let's talk about 'Infinitesimal' for a bit here; starting out with some breathing noises, and then eventually the vocal comes in and gets you bopping your head along. It's pop to the extreme, and it's wonderful. When all the harmonies are kicking along it really reminds me of Architecture in Helsinki, then there's a bridge with some spoken word. Kicking back into the catchy chorus, you can see why I skip ahead to this song each time. 





Wooden Wand - Blood Oaths of the New Blues
This record is good every time I remember to listen to it. It's just a matter of remembering. The vocals are warm and honest, it's opening number 'No Bed for Beatle Wand / Days This Long' runs almost twelve minutes. Wooden Wand reminds me a bit of any folk band you want with a hint of Ben Lee's cadence. It's a neat record that I need to remember exists. The final two tracks, totaling near eight minutes 'Jhonn Balance' and 'No Debts' end the record very strongly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment